Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Islander #1 Technothriller on Amazon Kindle



All right, it was brief--it lasted only a few hours. And we're talking a minuscule number of sales; there are so few Kindles out there it doesn't take many sales to boost your rank dramatically. Still, it's happened twice in the last four days. Auspicious or not, it was a thrill to check my Kindle page and see The Islander ranked a bestseller in the following categories:

#1 Technothrillers
#2 Occult
#4 Political

In the occult category, only Stephen King stood between The Islander and the top spot. And The Islander has higher customer ratings. (Watch your back, Stevie.)



Of course, it doesn't take long for your rank to plummet as other books sell while yours does not, but my hope is that I can stay high enough in the rankings as more Kindles sell until the rankings actually mean something. If that happens, we really will have a significant event here.

3 comments:

Mary Liz said...

Wowee! I know an author on a first name basis. Congratulation. My next step is to buy the book. I received a note from Susan ((Liz) Dodd with a clip regarding the book; she got the info from Tim. I faxed it on to Tommy, who acts on nothing immediately. I did read about growing up in Fargo, "Me". I am looking forward to more reading time on your blog. Best of wishes to you. I have a blog. Marylizreadsandwrites.blogspot.com., my slant on life in little old North Dakota.

ML Snyder Davis

P.S. I haven't forgotten those pics taken at Dad's funeral.

Rob said...

Greetings! Thank you for writing The Islander. I just finished it tonight and enjoyed every minute I spent reading it. I came across your book by dumb luck. I had just setup a google alert for 'amazon kindle' and this post was one of the first alerts I received. After checking out the reviews (all 5 star) I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I'm not sure if you have seen the Kindle version of your book, so I thought I might take a second to point out a few problems that I had.

Formatting: There seems to be a slight margin on the left side which really cuts down the number of words/page. You also can't change the justification from full to left.

Omissions/errors: (copied from the MyClippings file on my Kindle):
The Islander: A Romance of the Future (Charles Whittlesey)
- Highlight Loc. 5440-41 | Added on Monday, April 28, 2008, 07:22 PM

"Galen--what are doing? Come in."


I assume there's a 'you' missing?

The Islander: A Romance of the Future (Charles Whittlesey)
- Highlight Loc. 6848 | Added on Monday, April 28, 2008, 08:19 PM

distance. The limestone faade was chipped, worn, and


The Kindle doesn't render the special 'c' properly and it displays as a ?

Thanks again, and good luck in the future. :)

-Rob

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rob. Glad you enjoyed it. And I greatly appreciate the list of errors you included, as I don't own a Kindle myself (yet). I'm working on the margins and should have them fixed shortly.