Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Antonia--another view

Dear Charlie,

I finished My Antonia and end up disagreeing with your conclusion.

Eighteen years ago I had the same reaction you did, but this time I have the strong opinion that Jim and Antonia marrying each other would have been a disaster. Being a high priced Harvard graduate railroad lawyer, life in the country was out for him. And I can't see her being happy or fitting in in New York City. And I think she's happier than you give her credit for. Her teeth are going but her general health is good; she's still strong and active and loves the farm and a big family seems a must for her. The farm is paid for, the additional quarter is almost so, her husband is not the most ambitious guy in the world but together they run a successful place.

The big mistake Jim made was to marry the wealthy socialite. The boost it gave to his career makes me cynical about a guy that otherwise seemed idealistic and admirable. But they have no children, they each go their separate ways and don't fight or trouble each other.

In sum, the book left me feeling contented with the way things turned out. Wonderful happy memories are their common heritage and I think memories are better for them than a life together would have been. Which leaves me questioning Cather's Latin phrase about the best days being the first to go. Of course they are, but you can't do anything about that and happy memories are probably all any of deserve as we get older. I do wish your Mother were still around.

Anyhow, that's the way the book struck me this time around. Thanks for renewing my interest in it.

Dad

No comments: